- Gochang : Gochang-gun and Asan-myeon Jeollabuk-do
- Hwasun : Dogok-myeon and Chunyang-myeon Hwasun-gun, Jeollanam-do
- Ganghwa : Ganghwa-gun, Incheon
- 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Malay)
- Gochang : +82-63-560-8666
- Hwasun : +82-61-379-3501~5, +82-61-379-3933
- Ganghwa : +82-32-933-3624
The prehistoric cemeteries at Gochang, Hwasun, and Gangwha contain many hundreds of examples of dolmens, tombs from the 1st millennium BCE constructed of large stone slabs. They form part of the Megalithic culture, to be found in many parts of the world, but nowhere in such a concentrated form. Dolmens are megalithic funerary monuments, numerous in Asia, Europe, and North Africa. Korea has the greatest number of any country.
Dolmens are of great archaeological value for the information that they provide about the prehistoric peoples who built them and their social and political systems, beliefs and rituals, arts and ceremonies, etc..The Gochang, Hwasun, and Ganghwa sites contain the highest density and greatest variety of dolmens in Korea, and indeed of any country. They also preserve important evidence of how the stones were quarried, transported, and raised and of how dolmen types changed over time in north-east Asia.
- From Gochang Bus Terminal, take Bus bound for Jungnim.
Get off at Gochang Dolmen Museum.
- Or, take a bus bound for Seonunsa Temple.
Get off at the entrance of Maesan.
- When exiting from Neungjuyeok Station (Gyeongjeon Line), proceed to the main road walking for about 4 minutes.
- Take village bus No. 218 from Jamjeongni Bus Stop.
- After passing 18 stations (travel time: approx. 1 hour), get off at Ji-dong Bus Stop.
- Walk for about 20 minutes to reach the final destination.
- Sinchon Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 4.
Go straight 260m to arrive at the bus stop in front of Artreon.
- From the bus stop, take Bus 3000 to Ganghwa Bus Terminal.
- From the Ganghwa Bus Terminal take Bus 01, 02, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 30, 32, or 35.
Get off at the dolmen site.
- Ganghwa-bound bus: 05:40-23:20, 10-13min intervals, travel time: 1hr 30min